Why Distributed Generation?
Benefits for you:
- Resilience: Grid-connected distributed generation(DG) can provide you with continuous backup power for essential loads if the main grid goes off-line. The more DG, the more loads can be covered.
- Cost: Distributed generation can drastically reduce your electricity bill through using free or lower-cost energy sources. In Ontario, electrical energy cost has been rising by some 9% per year, much of this due to Global Adjustment. In addition, DG can also reduce Demand Chargesand Carbon Charges.
- Efficiency: With biogas, landfill gas and natural gas generation, typically twice as much heat energy is produced in addition to electricity. Combined heat and power (CHP) systems generate electricity and useful thermal energy in a single, integrated system.
Benefits for the grid:
- Losses: Local distributed generation reduces grid losses through reducing power transfers
- Resilience: With higher power transfers, the risk of a cascading grid failure in increased.
- Reduced vulnerability: Many small DG are much less vulnerable to extreme event or cyber-attacks that could disrupt supply
Benefits for the environment:
- Carbon-free: Wind, solar & hydro electricity generation is carbon-free which helps fight global warming
- Biogas: kills pathogens which in turn creates a usable byproduct, reduces odours and converts methane to carbon dioxide. Methane is a greenhouse gas, 28 times worse than carbon dioxide.
- Efficiency: CHP is highly efficient as heat energy is not wasted
- Transport: Removes the need to transport fuel long distances to remote communities
What is distributed generation?
Distributed generation(DG) refers to a variety of technologies that generate electricity at or near where it will be used.
Some more effective DG technologies include:
- Landfill Gas
- Cogeneration/Combined Heat Power(CHP)
We take on challenging requirements using cutting edge innovative solutions. ANF also manufactures control and protection cabinets tailored to the customer’s requirements.
Our job starts with you: understanding what you need, so we can present options that make sense for you.
Not sure what you need, or what it costs? We’re always happy to talk about how we can can work together.
Give us a call or reach out using the contact form – let’s start the conversation.